August 15, 2008

My Graduation Surprise


Okay. So we got to Olympia with enough time do laundry then go off to Eastern Washington to attend Shane's Grandpa's memorial service. Grandpa Woods had passed away while we were in Hawaii and they waited for us to come home before having the service. That was a nice trip getting to know some of Shane's family, seeing Chris and Jessica Byers, and seeing Dorthy, Greg, and my new nephew Nick. It was really nice, but too short. We then spent the 4th of July at Shane's dads house with more fireworks than most shows these days. It was a blast to spend with our old long time friends the Byers and our new long time friends the Stmmels. The next day we drove to Shane's moms house. For those of you who don't know Shane's mom lives in Northern California just 30 minutes west of Redding. Kristel (Shane's mom) and Ernie own a beautiful Vineyard and Winery that they built from ground zero. They celebrated their 10 year anniversary of the vineyard on the 5th, so we rushed down to be apart of it for an hour. I was excited to find out what my graduation present was. In Hawaii Shane told me that a couple days after we go to Cali he would give it to me. I started to get worried the next morning when he said, "We have to talk." His grandmother put her arm around me and said, "It's okay. I'll be here for you." I was confused and even a bit scared for what Shane would say next. Then I saw it. I saw a luggage tag with a bright yellow Mickey Mouse head on it. I was immediately ecstatic. I thought Shane and I and baby Jay Jay were going to Disneyland. I couldn't even believe it when he told me it was Disney world with NO CHILDREN for eight days. Oh my goodness!

I cried and laughed and laughed till I cried while we were there. For those of you who also don't know. I used to work there. Crazy! I know! I worked the rides as an attractions hostess in the Magic Kingdom working the Buzz Lightyear ride, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, and the Carousel of Progress. It was so amazing. I was devastated to find out that the Disney world trip the Stimmels were planning was just a cover for us going. I felt so bad that they were not able to get a trip alone like we are.

Shane planned a wonderful trip that even involved us going to Universal Studios and Universals Islands of Adventure. We had such a blast going on roller coasters, sleeping in, and enjoying each other. I loved seeing places that I hold dear and sharing them with Shane. Of course Shane didn't wait long before telling me that the Stimmels actually were coming. He said that I felt so bad and looked so sad that it wasn't worth keeping as an additional surprise.

It was so fun and we even were hit up with two Year of a Million Dreams prizes. The first was a personal safari tour where we had our own truck with two guides giving us a 'backstage' tour. They told us what things were real, fake, and interesting stories. The second was watching the fireworks from the best seats in the house. I have seen the fireworks from the top of the Astro Orbiter many times. I used to do it often when I worked nights to give guests a perfect Magical Moment. It was so fun to be able to share one of my fondest memories with my best friend Shane and Taylor and Leah. Shane, great job on a wonderful and unexpected graduation present. You really outdid yourself. It made me feel very special that you would take so much time, effort, and money to give me the most amazing graduation present ever.

This was our first vacation ever without children. We never went on a vacation before having kids, and we brought our boys on every vacation since they came into our lives. It was so nice to have so much time with all our attention on each other. You are my husband, the father of my children, and forever and always my best friend. I love you.

4 comments:

.Ang. said...

Knowing how OBSESSED you are with disney, that is the PERFECT surprise for you!!!!

haha remember that time when I think Mike taylor and I were outside talking and you came out of your house and stood on the balcony and we stopped talking immediately... and you were all suspicious about something.... Yeah.. we MAY or may not have been talking about your wonderful surprise!

That is such an amazing thing!!! not only Disneyland with no kids.. But just No kids for 8 days alone is amazing!!!

Good Job shane!

hahah I also loved how he said "we need to talk" and the whole "don't worry mary, we will be here for you!!" hahaa

Melissa said...

wow!! what a surprise! and what a sweet and thoughtful husband. I'm glad that you guys got to do that!

Noelle said...

I was trying to get Kurt to go for forever!! Shane and the Stimmels invited us but Kurt couldn't see how you can go to Disneyland without kids!! I was like... easy! I am SO SO glad you guys got to go and none of us idiots who knew about it ruined it for you. I was so sure Kurt was going to say something. I also LOVE your last three posts. Seth and Eli are so smart and funny. I was imaging them saying it in their individual voices..hahaha. Thanks for the Goodbyes post. Drew was so excited to hear that Elijah still remembers her... or just excited to hear about Elijah and Seth! Miss yah!

Erin said...

WHAT A FABULOUS GRADUATION PRESENT! I DIDNT EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT TILL jAMES TOLD ME. WHAT A GREAT HUSBAND YOU HAVE! HOW CUTE! LOOKS AND SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD SUCH A BLAST IN YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME!