October 24, 2009

Sand in the City


Back in the end of August, Olympia had its most recent Sand in the City extravaganza. I love Sand in the City because they bring in sand on the sidewalks where amatuer and professional sand sculpting is presented and in compitition for first prize. They have food, games, and all sorts of fun things to do. This was my favorite statue this year beacause it made me laugh so much. It wasn't as difficult as others that we saw, but it was soo funny!

Several people and groups danced from the Dance Direction, my mother-in-laws studio. Shelbi, my sis-in-law was supposed to dance, but she was recently in a freak hot/cold pack accident. Okay okay, you know those hot/cold packs that can be frozen or heated in the microwave? Yeah? Well, Shelbi grabbed one of those out of the microwave just as she felt the flesh burning off her thigh and down her calf. The pack had popped in the microwave without her knowing and the scalding hot insides gave her second degree burns. Needless to say, she was unable to dance for a few weeks until it healed entirely.

Just as the Dance Direction were finishing their last group, I noticed this kids walking around with a Burmese Python wrapped around his neck and arm. He was with him mom who had an African Grey (exotic bird) perched on her shoulder. Apparently they owned a pet store. If I owned a pet store, I still wouldn't go as far as walking aroud with a scary snake on any of my children, but that's just me.

The highlight of my day was seeing the photographer in the kilt taking pictures of the belly dancers. I was taking a couple pictures of the belly dancers myself until I found a better target, the dude in the kilt! You gotta love Olympia!

1 comment:

Noelle said...

Hahaha! That kilt is awesome! That snake is gross! And I'm glad you explained about the accident. I hope Shelbi heals soon. That sounds awful!