October 26, 2009

Primary Program


This Sunday the boys had their primary program. They both had their lines and were very excited. As they were going up on stage after taking the sacrament Jacob just was so upset. He insisted that we had to go too. He finally calmed down but I kept repeating, "Elijah and Seth and going to sing songs to us. Look! Do you see brothers?" Thank goodness Eli was in view from our seat. Seth was one of the early speakers and he was ready and in a good mood. He got up there and loud and clear we heard, "I am thankful for my family because they play games with me." He was so good and brave. Eli's part was in the middle and he got up there with a huge smile on his face. He just stared at everyone smiling until the primary leader helped him out then he said, "My dad provides for my family by working far from home." It's funny how those eleven words got me choked up even though I had heard him say it about thirty times. I miss you Shane. Eli was so sweet. He told me later that he was so shy when he got up there. They sang all the songs and were very obedient on stage. The program was all about appreciating our families. It was such a nice program. Jacob has been having the hardest time going to nursery the past several months. He would scream hysterically and cry until he came back to me. He even had a hard time going with Shane. So the last two weeks I came in for the first hour and after sneaking out to go to Relief Society, he would scream for the rest of the time. So I decided a new approach this Sunday. I told Jacob we were going to nursery, went in with him, then I looked him in the eye and asked if I could go to class right now or if he wanted me to stay for a little while. He frowned and said 'stay a little while'. I fully explained that I would be there a short while sitting by the wall, but I was going to leave soon. He said okay and fifteen minutes later I went to him and told him to have fun and I would be back after going to my class. He said 'okay mommy' and went on playing. No crying today! Hopefully this same routine will work next Sunday.

1 comment:

Noelle said...

Oh! I can't imagine how hard that is without Shane. You're such a good mom Mary! You're boys are so adorable sleeping in those pictures.